Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

Seeking Unpublished Data on Hardiness
Posted by: Celina Oliver
Title/Position: Research Assistant
School/Organization: Portland State University
Sent to listserv of: SPSP
Date posted: January 11th, 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I am conducting a meta-analysis exploring the relationship between hardiness and health and well-being related outcomes and I am seeking unpublished (or in press) manuscripts or doctoral dissertations that examine the relationship between hardiness and any of the following outcomes:

Physical health or illness
(Subjective) well-being
Psychological distress
Job satisfaction
Burnout

If you have conducted studies that examine bivariate relationships between hardiness (as defined by Kobasa and Maddi) and any of these outcomes, I would greatly appreciate it if you would make them available to me for inclusion in my analyses. I can be reached at celina@pdx.edu and I will be collecting data until mid-February, 2008.

The goals of this project are: (a) to examine the strength and consistency of the relationships of hardiness or its three components (commitment, control, and challenge) with health and well-being related outcomes, (b) assess for possible moderators in these relationships based on theoretical issues identified through the literature, and (c) and to examine instrumentation as a possible moderator in these relationships. The body of literature in this area is rich, complex, and varied, which makes it difficult to adequately summarize in a non-quantitative review. To complicate matters further, later versions of the hardiness instruments incorporated theoretical and psychometric refinements that could have an important influence on how hardiness relates to other variables. Meta-analysis provides a mechanism for synthesizing a large volume of studies and to explore potential moderators such as which hardiness measure was employed, or the use of self-report versus objective indicators of physical health.

Thank you very much for your cooperation!

Sincerely,

Celina Oliver (Portland State University, Oregon)

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous