Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

Memorial for Psychologist of Excellence
Posted by: Art Kendall
Title/Position: President
School/Organization: Social Research Consultants
Sent to listserv of: SPSP, SESP, SPSSI
Date posted: January 7th, 2008

On December 25, 2007, shortly after his 100th birthday, Dr. Ralph Kirby White passed away.

Dr. White received a PhD in social psychology from Stanford in 1937. He was Chief Soviet Block Officer in the US Government from 1947 to 1964. He then joined the faculty of George Washington University, from which he retired in 1973. He continued his work in social and political psychology and in advocating for peace and human rights, until shortly before his death.

His pioneering work on styles of leadership, documented in Lewin, Lippitt, and White (1939), is one of the foundation stones of social psychology. His many published works are still timely in political and peace psychology. He founded the Capital Area Social Psychological Association (1978), and was an early member of the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (1937), the International Society of Political Psychology (1978), Psychologists for Social Responsibility (1983), and APA Division 48 - Society for the Study of Peace, Conflict, and Violence: Peace Psychology Division (1990).

His published work and his personal interactions with us were an inspiration to myself and many others in the Capital Area.

The final issue in 2004 of Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology was dedicated to Dr. White.

There will be a Memorial Service at Broadmead, north of Baltimore, the community where he spent his last years.

The memorial service is on Saturday, January 19 at 2 PM.

From the Washington Beltway I-495, take exit 27 towards I-95 N / BALTIMORE. Go 0.4 miles.
Turn SLIGHT LEFT to get on I-95 N towards BALTIMORE / NEW YORK. Go 22.5 miles.
Take LEFT exit 49B to get on I-695 N towards I-70 / TOWSON / I-83. Go 16.9 miles.
Take exit 24 to get on I-83 N towards TIMONIUM / YORK PA. Go 5.7 miles.
Take exit 20A-B towards SHAWAN ROAD / COCKEYSVILLE. Go 0.2 miles.
Keep SLIGHT RIGHT at the fork towards ramp towards SHAWAN RD EAST / COCKEYSVILLE. Go 0.3 miles.
Go STRAIGHT on SHAWAN ROAD. Go 0.8 miles.
Turn LEFT onto YORK ROAD. Go 0.5 miles.
You have reached 13801 York Road, Cockeysville 21030, Maryland. Go to the main building and they can direct you from there.

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous