Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

Ethics of Field Experiments
Posted by: Sally Farley
Title/Position: Assistant Professor
School/Organization: Albright College
Sent to listserv of: SPSP, SESP, SPSSI
Date posted: September 23rd, 2007

Hello. I am curious about your thoughts concerning the ethical implications of field experiments. Several of my students in the past have received no difficulty going through the IRB to pursue helping-related field experiments (the effect of attire on clerk response time is a typical manipulation). Some of the experiments were conducted in parking lots, others in a mall setting. Recently, the chair of the IRB has required changes varying from securing mall permission (understandable) to posting a flyer indicating that data was collected in a certain location on a given date, to requiring debriefing of participants, which is ludicrous to me. Please let me know if this is a trend that is typical for IRB reactions to field experimentation, your experiences, and recommended reading on this issue. Thanks so much!

Dr. Sally Farley

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous