Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

Can anyone help me find a reference?
Posted by: Jason McCoy
Title/Position: Instructor of Psychology
School/Organization: Cape Fear Community College (Wilmington, NC)
Sent to listserv of: SPSP, SPSSI, SESP
Date posted: September 1st, 2006

Hello. This is my first post & I must say...I am desperate for some help. I currently teach courses in general psychology, abnormal psychology & human sexuality. While my research interests are quite diverse, for nearly a year now I have been reading books & peer reviewed journal articles about or related to the evolutionary origins of various sexual behaviors. Particularly fascinating to me is anthropologist Helen Fisher & Art Aron's "love" research. Essentially, Fisher et al. are examining the role various brain regions play in the various stages of "love."

She and others contend that love, instead of it being a singular emotion, is more of a tripartite motivational force. Long story short, I have recently been trying to recall a study I came across about 1 year ago while reading either a book or Internet-based article that seemed to investigate the hypothesis that love does in fact consist of various stages.

If I remember correctly:

Students select a photo of someone they find attractive from a prearranged bulletin board of options.

Next, students are asked to write love letters to their significant others (NOT the person in the photo).

Either 2 trials were run with the same group or 2 groups were asked to perform different tasks; I can't remember. Nevertheless, the love letters were either LUSTFUL in content or ROMANTIC minus the LUST.

The task required all students to place a check (?) in the margin as sort of a running tab of their intrusive thoughts. Each time a student thought of the person in the photo while writing her love letter, she was to indicate by placing a check in the margin.

The findings suggested that people are more likely to have intrusive thoughts as indicated by the number of check marks in the margin when writing Lustful love letters but not Romantic Love letters.

I would really appreciate any help anyone could offer. I am desperate to find the study and or author(s).

As a bit of special incentive, Helen Fisher, Art Aron, David Buss, Lisa Diamond, and many many others who are considered experts in the field of social psychology were very intrigued, but admitted NO knowledge of the study.

Please feel free to email me your response!!

Cheers,

Jason McCoy, Instructor of Psychology
Cape Fear Community College
Dept. of Social & Behavioral Sciences
411 N. Front Street
Wilmington "Hurricane" NC
910-362-7434

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous