Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

"Experimental Computer Games" Responses
Posted by: Ken Sheldon
Title/Position: Associate Professor
School/Organization: University of Missouri-Columbia
Sent to listserv of: SPSP
Date posted: February 27th, 2006

Hello list,

A while back I asked about experimental computer games that one might use as a platform for various social manipulations. Below is a compendium of the responses I received. You might contact the individual senders for further details.

Ken Sheldon

I use a modified version of Deutsch & Krauss's (1960, J. of Abnormal and Social Psych, 61, 181-189) trucking game in my second year class (the students love it) which could easily be adapted for play on line. I attach the board that I developed (in power point) and the rules (Word).

Pete Grant

We may have a blackjack game that can do this. Indeed, we use it in our immersive virtual environment research. I think it can be modified for play on computer monitors.

Jim Blascovich

This is a long shot, because I really don't know the ins and outs, but there are umpteen poker and other card-playing sites with chat capability. You can set up your own table and control attendance, ergo, you could manipulate the number of participants, confederates, scripts, etc. You can set up tables for "play" money, BTW.

Matthew Hogben

I wrote a program in Perl that sets up a free rider paradigm based on Fehr's 2002 paper in Nature. People play against computer confederates, but think they're playing with 3 other people. There is a minimal chat function controlled by the experimenter.

Take a look at one version of the game, and let me know if this is something you would like to explore. I'd be happy to share the source code if you have someone who can interpret and modify my code. Note that I am not a professional programmer, and the code is a little idiosyncratic. I can send you some instructions (for participants) if you like.

Kevin

http://psych.colgate.edu/kmc/

Login ID: TEST
Password: 41

Kevin Carlsmith

Cyberball fits half your description, but by itself does not contain a chat window. You could have two programs working simultaneously, Cyberball, and any closed chat room, which might be useful.

You can download Cyberball here:

http://www2.psych.purdue.edu/~kip/Announce/cyberball.htm

Kip Williams

It should be feasible to modifiy commercially sold ego-shooter computer games for the mentioned purpose.

We modified the computer game Quake III Arena successfully to use it's virtual environments in psychological experimenting in general and to assess behavior of romtantic couples in another study.

Attached you find a paper (in press, Computers in Human Behavior) describing what we did in the first study. Unfortunately we only have a paper written in german for the second study. If you are interested in that paper anyway, please let me know.

Andreas Frey

We have used a prisoner's dilemma design in our couples lab, and the computer program can manipulate various kinds of competitive or positive interactions. It has also been used in dyadic and couples work in the past. I have pasted a reference below regarding this type of set up for dyads. My advisor has the software that we created, so you might want to email him for more info (Jean-Philippe Laurenceau; jlaurenceau@psy.udel.edu) --Adam

Jones B, Steele M, Gahagan J, Tedeschi J. (1968) Matrix values and cooperative behavior in the Prisoner's Dilemma game. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1968 Feb; 8(2):148-53.

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous