Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

Institutional Review Boards
Posted by: Kennon Sheldon
Title/Position: Associate Professor
School/Organization: University of Missouri-Columbia
Sent to listserv of: SPSP
Date posted: November 17th, 2005

I like Ed Diener’s suggestion of creating rating systems for IRBs, to help them function more effectively and get in our way less. But there is a conflict of interest -- can we be trusted to regulate IRBs, since they are entrusted to regulate us? What if the highest rated IRBs are also the slackest IRBs? Don’t get me wrong, I am very sympathetic to the idea that IRBs have gone too far, because I just had a major grant-funded project shut down for several days (at a cost of $500) because I forgot to submit the URL for the on-line survey to the IRB, even though that URL survey contained only questions previously approved in a Word document. Yes, our IRB was heavy-handed. But on the other hand, I didn’t follow an established procedure. For them, it’s a slippery slope, because it is difficult to tell when it is a merely a trivial detail (my perception) versus a systemic problem with exposure that has to be nipped in the bud. So, yes, IRBs may be helped to be more realistic. But we don’t want them to go past a certain point, where they (and we) are opened to lawsuits because some opportunist wants to exploit a momentary carelessness. It seems a tricky balance.

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous