Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

JSI Issue on Ageism Now Available
Posted by: Todd Nelson
Title/Position: Professor
School/Organization: California State University
Sent to listserv of: SPSSI, SESP
Date posted: May 26th, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to tell you that the latest issue of Journal of Social Issues (vol. 61 #2, June, 2005) is now available. The issue focuses on Ageism. I had the honor of guest editing the issue. The link to the publisher's (Blackwell) web page for the issue is here:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/toc/josi/61/2;jsessionid=oBdumlXzLPpg

Here is the abstract from my introductory article in the issue:

"For decades, researchers have discovered much about how humans automatically categorize others in social perception. Some categorizations race, gender, and age are so automatic that they are termed "primitive categories." As we categorize, we often develop stereotypes about the categories. Researchers know much about racism and sexism, but comparatively little about prejudicing and stereotyping based on age. The articles in this issue highlight the current empirical and theoretical work by researchers in gerontology, psychology, communication, and related fields on understanding the origins and consequences of stereotyping and prejudicing against older adults. With the aging baby boomer demographic, it is especially timely for researchers to work to understand how society can shed its institutionalized ageism and promote respect for elders. "

It is my hope that the wonderful empirical and theoretical work presented in this issue will spark others to initiate further work on this important issue.

All the best,
Todd

Todd D. Nelson, Ph.D.
Gemperle Foundation Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychology
California State University
801 W. Monte Vista Ave.
Turlock, California 95382

(209) 667-3442
(209) 664-7067 (fax)
tnelson@athena.csustan.edu
http://www.csustan.edu/psych/todd/index.html