Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

Gateway Behaviors for Enhanced Health
Posted by: Joel Bennett
Title/Position: President
School/Organization: OWLS
Sent to listserv of: SPSP, SESP, SPSSI
Date posted: November 26th, 2012

Dear All:

One of my colleagues in workplace health promotion recently made an inquiry (see below****). I have some recollection of research that is relevant, but can't identify it.

Can anyone point me to research paradigms that look at the gateway/barrier hypotheses wherein one set of behaviors (in a sequence) is a prerequisiste for another set of behaviors or outcomes as they pertain to increased health and well-being? I know this is general, so any focused experimental studies would be helpful.

I am especially interested in anything in experimental social psychology. If anyone know please email me at owls@organizationalwellness.com.

As long as I’ve been in the health promotion field, practitioners have talked about “gateway” behaviors advantageous to focus people on because they are a gateway to other changes – exercise is the most commonly cited as a behavior that leads people to reduced stress, healthy eating changes, and other positive changes in addition to direct exercise effects like increased fitness and weight loss. Similarly, practitioners often reference “barrier” risks that, unless addressed, reduce the likelihood of making other changes – stress is commonly cited, often related to being a barrier to weight loss or smoking cessation but also as a barrier to other changes. While both of these hypotheses are intuitively appealing and consistent with data I’ve encountered and our experience working with participants, I have not seen any RCTs or even strong quasi-experimental studies designed to directly test either the gateway or the barrier hypothesis. Are any of you aware of such research? I’m confident that, if none of you are aware of such research, it probably doesn’t exist. Thanks in advance for anything you can point me to.

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous