Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

IRBs and Alcohol Research
Posted by: Scott Eidelman
Title/Position: Assistant Professor
School/Organization: University of Maine
Sent to listserv of: SPSP
Date posted: April 27th, 2005

Dear Colleagues,

I'm having some disagreement with members of my school's IRB over a recent study proposal, and wondered if some on this list might be willing to share their opinions/experiences...

I proposed a study to approach people coming out of bars. I'd get verbal consent, ask Ps to fill out a short questionnaire (7 items), and have them blow into a breathalyzer to determine BAC. The IRB didn't like this. Specifically, they raised three major concerns:

1) Safety of the participant. IRB members suggested that I might have an ethical responsibility - beyond any legal responsibility - if I learn that any of my participants' BAC is over the legal limit. I proposed to tell participants their BAC, and to remind them of the legal limit in my state. I also proposed to give participants information about local cab services. I was told this wasn't good enough, because participants (still) might drive.

2) Underage drinking. The IRB also suggested that somehow i might be responsible if any of my participants were under 21...

3) Ability to give informed consent. Participants may not be able to truly consent due to impaired cognitive functioning.

Please note that I'm not giving anyone alcohol, only approaching folks as they leave the local watering hole.

I'd love to hear people's opinions on this matter. Has anyone proposed a similar study, and/or had a similar experience with their IRB? The committee did suggest that documenting the practices of other IRBs would help my case.

As is customary, I'll summarize for the list.

Thanks!

Scott Eidelman

Scott Eidelman
Department of Psychology
University of Maine
5742 Little Hall, Room 366
Orono, ME 04469-5742
ph: 207-581-2747; fax: 207-581-6128

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous