Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

Changes to NSF's SP Program, Thank You & Congrats!
Posted by: Kellina Craig-Henderson
Title/Position: Program Director
School/Organization: National Science Foundation
Sent to listserv of: SPSP, SESP, SPSSI
Date posted: January 19th, 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I wanted to take a moment to alert you to some changes underway within the management of the Social Psychology program at NSF, and to thank you for your continuing willingness to serve as reviewers and panelists. In addition, and just as important, I’d like to congratulate all of you who recently received awards and funding recommendations – congratulations!

First, rest assured that the Social Psychology program is well. The program began this fiscal year with a percentage of the 2011 year’s budget, which we anticipate ending at about $6.3M. We are optimistic about being able to support new and exciting research from the Spring 2012 pool of proposals as well as fulfilling our existing obligations for ongoing research. As of this writing, my colleague Brett Pelham and I are in the process of making award recommendations to a number of researchers who submitted proposals to the Social Psychology program for the July 2011 target date. Abstracts for these and other proposals funded by NSF will soon be listed in the Awards Database at:

http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/

I would also like to recognize the considerable efforts of those members of the Social Psychology community who reviewed proposals in this past year. This includes the members of the review panel who meet twice a year to evaluate the scientific merit and broader impacts of proposals, and several hundred ad hoc reviewers who similarly advise on individual proposals. These anonymous reviewers perform a valuable service to the social psychology community and I’d like to publicly thank them for their work.

As for the program’s management, Brett and I are both bidding a farewell to the Social Psychology program at NSF. Although somewhat coincidental, the timing for both of our departures is likely to be within 1-2 weeks of one another. Brett will be heading off to the American Psychological Association (APA). He will be assuming the position of Assistant Executive Director in the Education Directorate at APA (Division of Graduate and Postgraduate Education and Training). I will remain at NSF, but I will be taking on greater management responsibilities as Deputy Director for the Social and Economic Sciences division of the SBE directorate. A search is currently underway to identify and select program directors for the program.

It often comes as a surprise to people to know that half of the program directors at NSF are rotators who come for a year or two to learn about NSF, the proposal and review process, and the role of science in the federal context. These “temporary” employees of NSF take the knowledge and expertise they’ve learned about serving in the federal government as a steward of taxpayer funds back to their universities, and are typically able to leverage this knowledge quite effectively. I’d like to take this opportunity to encourage you to consider applying as a rotator to NSF – it is a remarkable learning experience, and you will appreciate having had it. To learn more about serving as a rotator, please see:

http://www.nsf.gov/about/career_opps/rotators/

Please be aware that rotators are required to have six or more post-doctoral years of experience.

I will be attending the SPSP meetings in San Diego, and following a presentation on funding opportunities at NSF scheduled for very early Friday morning, I will be available to talk with anyone interested in considering this exciting opportunity. Please drop me an email between now and next week to schedule a brief chat if you’re interested in the position but do not anticipate being available at that time (khenders@nsf.gov). Alternatively, please feel free to reach me by email if you will not be at the meeting.

Fondly,
Kelli

Kellina Craig-Henderson, Ph.D.
National Science Foundation
Arlington, VA 22230
703-292-7023
khenders@nsf.gov

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous