Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

Singlism (and separately) Dexter
Posted by: Bella DePaulo
Title/Position: Visiting Professor of Psychology
School/Organization: University of California, Santa Barbara
Sent to listserv of: SPSP, SPSSI, SESP
Date posted: May 21st, 2011

The widespread stereotyping and discrimination against people who are single, that has long gone unrecognized, unnamed, and unchallenged, gets its comeuppance in “Singlism: What It Is, Why It Matters, and How to Stop It.” The book includes my own writings as well as contributions from 28 others. You can read more about it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Singlism-What-Why-Matters-Stop/dp/0615486789/?tag=wwwbelladepau-20

Among the perspectives on singlism represented in the book are the personal, political, historical, religious, legal, clinical, economic, sociological, and psychological. There are media critiques, op-ed essays, and personal stories of standing up to singlism. Advocates and activists describe their successes and their challenges. Also included are sections on singlism’s cousin (the stereotyping and stigmatizing of adults with no children) and on valuing all of the important people in our lives (and not just conjugal partners and children).

And, about a totally unrelated book: For those of you who are fans of Dexter, the amiable serial killer, you may also want to check out the anthology I edited, The Psychology of Dexter. It includes essays from a range of psychologists who mess with the dark side in their research lives. You can find links to Dexter and my other books on this page:

http://belladepaulo.com/singles/index.php/books

Enjoy!

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous