Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Listserv Message Center

Forum Home Page

If you are a professional with a Ph.D. related to social psychology and wish to send an email message to the SPSSI or SESP listserv, click on the button below.

RSS Feed  Note: SPN also distributes any messages posted through this service to more than 263,000 of its own Twitter and RSS feed subscribers, thereby allowing users to reach a wider audience than the two listservs do.

Search the Archive
Search postings from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Archive

Book Announcement
Posted by: Bella DePaulo
Title/Position: Visiting Professor of Psychology
School/Organization: University of California, Santa Barbara
Sent to listserv of: SPSP, SESP, SPSSI
Date posted: October 1st, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

Just wanted to let you know about my recent collection of 89 essays, “Single with Attitude: Not Your Typical Take on Health and Happiness, Love and Money, Marriage and Friendship.” The book includes essays originally published in places such as the New York Times and the Chronicle of Higher Education, as well as online at Forbes, Psychology Today, and the Huffington Post.

“Single with Attitude” includes critiques of media reports of the links between marital status and outcome variables such as health and happiness, and sometimes of the studies themselves. I also offer new perspectives on media splashes such as the infamous Newsweek article comparing (unfavorably) the chances of a 40-year old single woman getting married to her chances of getting killed by a terrorist. There are interviews with academics, authors, and religious leaders. The book also includes discussions of singlism and matrimania, comparisons of the issues in the same-sex marriage debate to the matters of greatest consequence to singles, and analyses of historical trends in marriage and single life.

The links to the paperback version of “Single with Attitude” as well as the Kindle version are on the home page of my web site, on the right-hand side:

http://www.belladepaulo.com/

Links to my other books are there, too.

Hope you enjoy it.

Bella

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous