Terms and Conditions of Use
Social Psychology Network ("SPN") includes a variety of web pages, partner web sites, interactive forums ("forums"), professional profiles ("profiles"), search capabilities, and email services to its visitors. By viewing SPN pages, posting a message or web link in an SPN forum, creating or editing a profile, displaying an SPN Search Box, or using any other SPN service, you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions. If you do not wish to be bound by these terms, please do not use SPN.
SPN does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of any information, product, or service that appears in its pages, profiles, or forums. By using SPN, you understand that the content of all material posted by visitors is the sole responsibility of the individuals who posted it.
Users are asked not to post or transmit offensive or inaccurate material, and to keep in mind that the pages of SPN may be viewed by children. Nonetheless, you understand that by using the SPN forums, profiles, or other services, it is possible that you may be exposed to content that is offensive, inaccurate, indecent, or objectionable. Under no circumstances will SPN, its staff, or its service providers be held liable for any errors or omissions in any postings or pages, or for any loss or damages of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any information contained in SPN pages, profiles, email, or interactive forums.
When using SPN forums, profiles, Facebook pages, or other SPN services, you agree not to do any of the following:
- post or transmit any message, information, data, text, images, videos, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, pornographic, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or is racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable;
- post or transmit Content that encourages people to end their membership, subscriptions, conference attendance, or involvement with nonprofit psychological, educational, or scientific organizations;
- post or transmit Content that involves ad hominum criticisms of individuals or an effort to discourage others from (a) enrolling in specific psychology classes or programs, (b) submitting work to specific scholarly journals, or (c) funding specific research projects;
- impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your identity or affiliation with another person or entity;
- post or transmit any software, graphic files, or other Content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as nondisclosure agreements);
- post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," investment or loan schemes, casino or gambling offers, or any other form of commercial solicitation;
- post more than one announcement per month on the SPN Facebook wall;
- post religious Content that is evangelical or missionary in nature, or is otherwise intended to proselytize readers on behalf of a particular religion;
- post Content that encourages the use of illegal drugs, tobacco, or alcohol;
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national, or international law or any regulations having the force of law while using or accessing any of the SPN pages or services; and
- upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party. By submitting Content to SPN, you automatically grant -- or warrant that the owner of such Content has expressly granted -- SPN the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed.
Individuals who post a link to an Internet-based study, or who request that SPN do so, take full and sole responsibility for ensuring that the study:
- Is approved by an Institutional Review Board
- Obtains the informed consent of participants
- Involves no more than minimal risk to participants
- Does not involve deception
- Adheres fully to the SPN User Policy
Individuals who participate in Internet-based studies listed in SPN understand that SPN is not responsible for researchers' compliance with these requirements, that SPN makes no warrant or claim as to the content or quality of such studies, that SPN is not responsible or liable for the content of studies listed in SPN, and that SPN shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with any studies listed in SPN.
SPN and its designees shall have the right in their sole discretion to edit, refuse to post, or remove any Content posted on SPN and to move Content from one location to another within SPN. Without limiting the foregoing, SPN and its designees shall have the right to remove any Content that is in violation of the provisions hereof or otherwise objectionable.
You agree to indemnify and hold SPN, its staff, and its service providers harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your violation of these terms and conditions or your violation of any rights of another.
About Copyrighted Information
Web pages, message boards, forums, profiles, and email messages sometimes contain material in which users share material they have copied electronically from other sources. Because there are thousands of possible sources spread out across the Internet (e.g., newspapers, scientific journals, and bulletin boards), it is difficult for SPN to determine if anything posted within or transmitted through SPN content infringes on the copyright of another party. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please notify the SPN Executive Director immediately so the situation can be promptly addressed.
SPN and its users may post links to other web sites or resources. SPN is not responsible for the availability of such web sites or resources, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any Content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. SPN shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such Content, goods, or services available on linked sites or resources.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT USE OF SPN IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. NEITHER SPN, ITS STAFF, NOR ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE TO YOU FOR ANY CONTENT FOUND ON SPN PAGES, PROFILES, EMAIL, OR FORUMS. SPN EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
SPN MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT ANY CONTENT ON THE SPN PAGES, PROFILES, EMAIL, OR FORUMS WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR FREE; NOR DOES SPN MAKE ANY WARRANTY AS TO THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF SUCH INFORMATION OR AS TO THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH SPN. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT ANY USE OF AN SPN PROFILE OR NAME IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, THAT THIS SERVICE MAY BE CHANGED OR WITHDRAWN BY SPN AT ANY TIME, AND THAT SPN IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY UNRELIABILITY OF THIS SERVICE OR ANY PROBLEM ARISING FROM USE OF AN SPN PROFILE OR NAME. YOU FURTHER UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ANY CONTENT DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF SPN IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS IN THE DOWNLOAD OF SUCH CONTENT.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER THE APPLICABLE LAW, NEITHER SPN, ITS STAFF, NOR ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE SPN PAGES, PROFILES, EMAIL, OR FORUMS, OR FOR COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND SERVICES OR RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH INFORMATION CONTAINED WITHIN SPN PAGES, PROFILES, EMAIL, OR FORUMS, OR RESULTING FROM ALTERATION OR DELETION OF ANY MESSAGES, EVEN IF SPN HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of Connecticut, excluding its conflict of law provisions. You and SPN agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the state of Connecticut. The failure of SPN to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these terms and conditions shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of these terms and conditions is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the court should endeavor to give effect to the intention reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of these terms and conditions shall remain in full force and effect. You agree that regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to use of SPN or these terms and conditions must be filed within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose. The section titles herein are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect. SPN reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time and from time to time.
To Report Violations
If you become aware of any violations of these terms and conditions, please notify the SPN Executive Director as soon as possible. Although SPN cannot guarantee that action will be taken as a result of your notification, all feedback is welcome.
Thank you for visiting, and for your careful attention to this policy.
--Scott Plous, Ph.D.
SPN Executive Director
Professor of Psychology