Social Psychology Network

Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University

Job Posting Forum

Forum Home Page

Click the button below to have new job openings emailed to you when they match criteria you provide. To disable existing alerts or change your earlier preferences, click here.

Search the Forum
Search jobs posted from:
to

for the following word(s):

Search Jobs

Lab Manager of Moral Psychology Research Lab
Institution/Organization: Harvard University
Job Location: Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Contact Person: Josiah Nunziato
Date Posted: January 7th, 2015
Web Site: http://cushmanlab.fas.harvard.edu/

The Moral Psychology Research Lab is soliciting applications for a lab manager to begin work in 2015 in the Psychology Department at Harvard University. This will be a full-time position with full benefits and a salary of approximately $38,000 annually. The start date could be at any time between June 1, 2015 and January 15, 2016. The minimum commitment is 1 year, but 2 years is encouraged.

The lab conducts research in social cognition with an emphasis on moral judgment and behavior. Some examples of current research topics include the balance of automatic vs. controlled processes in moral judgment, the role of learning in moral behavior, and the evolutionary function of punishment. Current research methods include laboratory experiments, online studies, pen-and-paper surveys, psychophysiology, fMRI, economic games, developmental research and formal modeling. You can learn more about our research on our website.

The lab manager will be responsible for the general administrative functioning of the lab as well as designing, conducting and analyzing experiments in collaboration with the PI, Fiery Cushman, and other lab members. Administrative duties include purchasing, managing finances, obtaining human subjects approval for studies, and recruiting and scheduling subjects. The lab manager will also play an important role in recruiting, training and overseeing undergraduate research assistants. Lastly, and most critically, I will rely on the lab manager to help conduct research central to the lab's mission. I make an effort to allow the lab manager substantial ownership over our lab's research projects.

My own first exposure to psychology came as a lab manager, and I am committed to making the job productive, educational and enjoyable. It will require hard work and long hours, but it is an ideal way to learn more about psychological research and develop your talents. If you decide to apply for graduate school, this job is an excellent addition to your CV, and I will do everything I can to support your career.

Some elements to highlight in your application include any background in empirical research, leadership experience, and evidence of responsibility, self-motivation and independence. If you happen to have specific skills in computer programming (e.g. web design, java, MATLAB, python, R, etc.), or neuroscience or psychophysiology research, please mention that as well. (These skills are not required).

Candidates should send a CV and cover letter to Josiah Nunziato, nunziato@fas.harvard.edu, and should include contact information for three references. Please include "MPRL lab manager" in the subject line of any correspondence. Please also have undergraduate and any other relevant transcripts sent to the same address. Applications received by February 1, 2015 will receive full consideration; review of applications will continue until the position is filled.

Harvard is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.

Return to Top

©1996-2024, S. Plous